Welcome to enjoy Poromagia's very own Poro Brawl format! You will find all the information about rules, legal sets and ban lists of Poro Brawl from below. If you have any questions regarding Poro Brawl, please contact use via email email@example.com or at Poromagia's Discord server's #porobrawl channel.
Poro Brawl rules
Poro Brawl and it's deck building uses the regular Commander rules with the following exceptions:
- planeswalkers can not be chosen as commanders
- a deck may include only cards from Standard sets and legendary creatures and lands from Commander sets (the full list of legal sets and the ban list can be found below)
- a deck has to contain exactly 60 cards (including the commander/commanders)
- the starting life total of each player is 20 in 1v1 and 30 in multiplayer
- Poro Brawl does not use commander damage
Sideboards are used in 1v1 Poro Brawl in the following way:
- a deck contains 3 to 15 sideboard cards depending on the commander's colors
- multicolored commander has 15 sideboard cards and every additional color reduces the amount of sideboard cards by 3
- for example four colored Breya, Etherium Shaper is allowed to play 6 cards in the sideboard
Commander's colors and card's color identity
A card's color identity can come from any part of that card, including its casting cost and any mana symbols in its text. Every card in your Commander deck must only use mana symbols that also appear on your commander. Colorless cards are allowed as well. (Poro Brawl does not include two sided transforming commanders but they would be treated the same way as Archangel Avacyn. Archangel Avacyn has a white casting cost but the transformed Avacyn, the Purifier has a red color identity. That means that Avacyn's color identity is both white and red.)
- Example 1: Golos, Tireless Pilgrim is colorless but it's rules text includes all five colors of Magic. A deck commanded by Golos can therefore play cards from every color. For the same reason Golos can not be played as part of any other than five colored commander's Poro Brawl deck.
- Example 2: All lands have to also match the deck's commander's color identity. A deck commanded by red and white Tajic, Legion's Edge can not play Bojuka Bog which generates black mana. All lands in Tajic's deck have to generate some combination of red, white and or colorless mana. Any deck can play Grand Coliseum kind of lands which generate mana of any color.
Poro Brawl legal sets
- Commander 2011 (only creatures and lands)
- Commander 2013 (only creatures and lands)
- Commander 2014 (only creatures and lands)
- Commander 2015 (only creatures and lands)
- Commander 2016 (only creatures and lands)
- Commander 2017 (only creatures and lands)
- Commander 2018 (only creatures and lands)
- Commander 2019 (only creatures and lands)
All cards from Brawl Decks are also legal in Poro Brawl.
Handy links for card browsing
The following cards are banned as Commanders but can be played as part of the deck.
The following cards are entirely banned in Poro Brawl.
- Vial Smasher the Fierce
- Budoka Gardener // Dokai, Weaver of Life
- Nezumi Graverobber // Nighteyes the Desecrator
These cards are legal but are currently being watched for their high power level.